Te Reo Māori & Tikanga
“Ko te reo Māori te kākahu o te whakaaro, te huarahi ki te Ao Tūroa.”
(The Māori language is the cloak of thought and the pathway to this natural world.)
2019 is an exciting year for the learning of the Māori language. With changes that reflect 21st century teaching and learning we have a focus on quality language development and proficiency.
The pathways available for language learning include:
- Te Reo Māori – for those just starting to learn the language.
- Mana Māori – for students from Māori immersion schools who want to continue their language development.
- Te Reo Māori through ICT – for students who have a global interest to use the language through the technologies of ICT.
- Te Reo Māori through the Arts – for students who have an interest in expressing the language through movement and dance.
- Te Reo Māori and Tikanga through Environmental studies – for students who have an interest in sustainability within their own whanau, hapū and iwi.
The programmes focus on language acquisition – i.e. ongoing development of proficiency in the language and the encouragement to improve one’s ability to speak in the language is paramount.
Te Hā o Rongotū and Te Mauri o Rongotū are exciting programmes which focus on the realm of the Arts and Tikanga as a learning context that is dynamic.
The school also has a proud record of cultural success at both regional and national level. Students who participate in Kapa Haka will also have the opportunity to gain credits towards NCEA Levels 1-3.